Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gratituesday: The Word

A few weeks ago, my parents treated all of us kids (and our kids) to a trip to Passages, a traveling exhibit celebrating the 400th Anniversary of the King James Bible.

Not exactly the most exciting trip for the little kiddos (we had our share of tantrums to control), but wow, I left with a great gratitude for the Word of God.

The most poignant moment of the day, for me, was the story of William Tyndale--a man so dedicated to the translation and distribution of the Word of God, that he was willing to be exiled and even martyred for the sake of the Word.

And that's exactly what happened.
After he was exiled from England into Germany, Tyndale was eventually betrayed by someone he had come to trust--Henry Phillips, a fellow Englishman. Tyndale was imprisoned for 500 days and on October 6, 1536, he was strangled and burned at the stake.

It is recorded that his last words were, "Lord, open the King of England's eyes."

By God's grace, the King's eyes were opened and the rest is history.
The Bible is still the best selling book of all time.

And I'm so grateful for that.

~I'm grateful for men like William Tyndale who thought of others more than of himself. What sacrifice!

~I'm grateful that I own multiple copies of the Word of God, and do so without fear of threat or punishment.

~I'm grateful that I can find all the comfort, encouragement, exhortation, wisdom and assurance of love that I need in this precious book (and so much more!)

~I'm grateful for godly parents who still, even though we are adults with families of our own, want to instill in their children a love and passion for the Word of God.

I walked out of the exhibit that day with a knot in my throat and this resounding thought: "How dare we ever let dust collect on our Bible(s)!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More so than the book itself, I'm grateful for the Word who was made flesh and dwelt among us. (John 1:14) The Word who died to give us life. Do you know this Word?


What are you grateful for today?

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...