Sunday, November 13, 2011

Enriched.


Have you ever received a financial blessing?

A couple of months ago, we did.

A check. Out of the blue.
And it was almost two hundred dollars more than we were praying and hoping for.

WOW.
I'm in awe just thinking about God's generous heart and His miraculous ways.

Or maybe you and your family are well established financially and don't need one of those "money miracle" stories. If so, that's awesome!

But let me ask a question:
When God gives financial blessings, do you ever wonder why?

Why?

Is it so we can live comfortably, enjoying the American Dream?
Is it so we can have a kitchen FULL of food and closets full of clothes?
Is it so we have enough money to take the family on grand vacations?

It could be.

Afterall, He's our Father and He loves to give good gifts (Matthew 7:11). And as a parent, I know how fun it is to give my children things that delight them.

But what if there's a greater purpose for the resources that God gives us?

We live in such a consumer-based society where most of us have way more than we need.
I was driving through my parents neighborhood last week and noticed several garages that were packed full of all kinds of different things.
The nice cars were in the driveway because stuff had taken over.

I'm not against having stuff.
I'm against stuff having us. And I admit, stuff has had me more times than I care to tell.

Consider this promise from God:

"Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. 'For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.' And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others." 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (emphasis mine)


Promise #1 - God gives us everything we need.
When we give generously and cheerfully, God says He gives to us generously every need we have. He will always take care of us!

I love that, after the tithe (10% of our earnings), we are given such freedom in what we give to God. He basically just wants us to give from a cheerful heart. Not out of pressure. Not with a hesitant heart. Not a certain dollar amount because "Sister Sally" gave that much. Just cheerfully.

Promise #2 - Not only will God give us everything we need, when we give generously, He will make sure we have plenty of resources left over to share with others!

He gives us blessings to bless us, yes, but I think the most important lesson from our blessings is to cultivate a generous heart from our natural hearts of stone.

But it gets even better:

"As a result of your ministry, they will give glory to God. For your generosity to them and to all believers will prove that you are obedient to the Good News of Christ. And they will pray for you with deep affection because of the overflowing grace God has given to you. Thank God for this gift too wonderful for words!" 2 Corinthians 9:13-15 (emphasis mine)

So let's gather these truths:

--God will give us our every need
--He will also leave us plenty of extra resources to share with others
--Our generosity will bring glory to God
--Our generosity will prove that we are obedient to the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Do you see how generosity can be one of the greatest tools we have for bringing light into this very dark world?

We say "It is more blessed to give than to receive", but do we really believe it?

I am determined to break out of my consumer mindset and start viewing my blessings--be they home, car, money, health, time--as God's incredible tools for furthering His Kingdom and bringing glory to His name.

If I can trust Him with my eternal salvation, I know I can trust Him with all the earthly blessings He's given me!

And what better time of year than the upcoming Christmas season to generously share those blessings?


Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous.
2 Corinthians 9:11



1 comment:

  1. Love this Kari!! I just told my kids the real story of St. Nicholas and what a generous and giving man he was because he loved Jesus...such an important thing to remember and teach our families. We also talked about how the Bible says not to let your left know what your right hand is doing and how it can be so fun to be kind and generous in secret, because we don't need the praise and recognition. Then God truly gets it all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...