Thursday, October 1, 2009

My New Job


Last week I decided I would start a "new job".



For most of my married life (okay, all of it), I haven't been the greatest at housekeeping. I hate to admit it, but it's true. I would get in these moods where I'd clean like crazy and then go right back to being "blah" about it all. It's hard working a full day and then coming home and feeling motivated to clean...at least for me it was. So, when I was blessed to be able to stay at home, I was so excited! I knew I'd have more time and energy to devote to making our house a home.

...and then the TV got in the way, oh, and the computer...and whatever else that was non-housework related. Not to mention the fact that I have a sweet little boy to take care of. I would justify my laziness by telling myself, "Oh, I deserve this down time...I'll do better tomorrow" Yes, it is good to have down time. But not when it's everyday! haha

Needless to say, the Lord began convicting me. And then *mysteriously* everything I read for a couple of weeks would somehow always include Proverbs 31:27, which says, "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Ouch.



I had to realize that God had given me an incredible opportunity--one which I didn't think would be possbile--to stay home with my son. It wasn't given to me so that I could sit around and watch TV, read, or play with my son all day. None of those things are bad, especially playing with my son, but when I let the house go, and my husband comes home stressed out from a long day at work only to find that I've been playing all day, it doesn't look good. Because it's not.


"He is the happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home" Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


I want our home to be a haven for my husband to come home to. And it can't be if it's disorderly. So, I said allll that to say this: My "new job" is that I put myself on a cleaning schedule so that I know for sure what is expected of me during the week; I know that everything (or almost everything) gets done that needs to get done. I remember my mom having a schedule when we were younger and our home always seemed so comfy, cozy, and clean. It was a peaceful place to be.

God gave me my dream job, and up until last week, I'd been taking advantage of it. I decided I should start treating my position as the career that it is!


"Housekeeping is a profession, - The first thing to be done in order to better this state of affairs is to realise that household management is a serious profession, and that, like all apprentices, the woman who means to keep house must serve her time and give her energy to learning her profession." -How To Keep House
Recently, I checked out a book at the library called, "Home Comforts : The Art and Science of Keeping House" by Cheryl Mendelson. There's soo much to learn (it's a really thick book!), but I've enjoyed it so far. I love reading books about homemaking. They're inspiring. Proverbs 31 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I'm telling ya what; that woman was amazing!

Here's my schedule:

Monday: Laundry/Ironing
Tuesday: Dusting/Vacuuming/Visiting my Grandma/Menu & grocery planning
Wednesday: Heavy Duty Cleaning
Thursday: Grocery Shopping/Errands
Friday: Paperwork/Organizing/Visiting my Grandma (Fri., Sat., or Sun.)
Saturday: Light Cleaning
Sunday: Day of rest! Yay!

(I usually end up doing light laundry another day during the week--especially since Ethan is so talented at keeping his hamper full!)

Thankfully, the schedule has worked quite well. It may change later on, but so far I'm liking my new job!

My prayer is that I can keep this up! I'm good at starting things--but it takes serious discipline and determination to finish them.


Do you have a cleaning schedule? If so, what's yours like?






4 comments:

  1. Kari, it sounds like you have a great laid out plan!! I need to do something like this perhaps. I usually vacuum every other day, I know it seems obsessive, but I cant stand little fuzzes and things on the carpet (we have a dark carpet)...I dust once a week, do laundry once a week, more if need be...I really should write mine out day to day like you so I know it gets all done! We grocery shop for three weeks at Costco (like Sams)...we do this together since it hard with Cayden and all the bulk items to do it on my own, then I just run to the regular store on my days off like today to pick up the little extras that we need. I really like this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not the best house cleaner myself! It's not that we live in a dump or anything, it's just not as organized and clean as it could be. Thanks for this post! It has been weighing heavy on both of us to do more with the house. I just feel like sitting on my hind end as soon as I get home!!!! Stupid computer!
    Good luck with your new job. If you have any good pointers, send them my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your new schedule, I know how hard it is to keep up with the house work. Below is our schedule.

    Monday: dust and vacuum, pack Elise's lunch and bag for school

    Tuesday: laundry, clean bathrooms

    Wednesday: collect all trash for Thursday pick up, clean cat box, pack Elise's lunch and bag for school

    Thursday: dust and vacuum and mop

    Friday: plan menu for next week and grocery list, clean bathrooms

    Saturday: mow yard, laundry, grocery store

    Sunday: collect all trash for Monday pick up, clean cat box

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kari! I've been following your blog a bit and now it's time for me to finally comment! Haha!

    Don't be too discouraged, life happens so quickly. And when it comes to housekeeping I think there's definitely a learning curve to it. And us young wives always have at least five new things to learn at any given moment! Great habits take time to build and maintain, just like a clean home. I'm still very much learning myself, but I just wanted to throw some encouragement your way and say that your endeavor is a worthwhile one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...